Friday, October 29, 2010

This Blog Sucks!

Since I don't have any house progress photos, I'm
adding a few of the saddle I'm currently working on.
Admitedly, this blog probably has a high "suck" factor for it's inactivity over the past couple of weeks.  I'm probably to blame for that but in the time honored tradition of passing the buck, I'm going to blame the CIBC, the Fraser Valley Regional District, and also the neighbors dog.  If you really aren't enjoying the blog, ignore all the ramblings and scroll to the bottom where you can feed the resident fish with your mouse.... how's that for a great blog!


It's been a demoralizing few weeks waiting for the bank to sign off on the covenance the FVRD is requiring.  We were convinced we would have the necessary signatures about three weeks ago (that was after already waiting for six weeks)... we watched the days and then weeks slowly disappear along with our hopes off getting the foundation in before the usual heavy rains of October set in.  We heard rumors of our covenance popping up in different offices across Canada and our hopes began to rise when we heard it was back at the Mission CIBC.  Unfortunately for us it sat at the bank for another two weeks before I had a melt-down and called the branch manager.  I'm sure in the history of bank managers returning calls, none has ever been returned as quickly... It could have been the anger or perhaps the desperation in my voice but one of the two compelled this manager to call back with in minutes.  After listening to a three minute, heart felt apology, I somehow managed to remain calm as I was assured our situation would be dealt with personally by the following tuesday.  At long last I had someone I could hold accountable and let me tell you I was already mentally preparing my speech for tuesday.  Well, tuesday morning came with a phone call from the bank manager and I was informed that the covenance had the last bank signature needed and was in the hands of our notary public... to say the least I was in a state of disbelief and felt just a tinge of disappointment at not being able to deliver my castigating sermon. 

Handmade, Custom Tree
Excitement was in the air at the ole'homestead.  The following day the covenance was to be delivered to the FVRD office so they could add their signature before it was registered on title.  The registration process was the last obstacle between us and our building permit so we were on cloud nine thinking we were only days away from our permit... this feeling lasted for a total of about three minutes. Three minutes was the amount of time between when I was told the covenance was received at the FVRD and the time the woman at the planning department cynically told me she didn't know when it would be signed by their department.  I was astounded that they couldn't even give me a time frame...not a day or a week, just a stoic "I don't know when".   Once again we were in limbo where nobody wanted to take responsibility or be accountable for the inactivity.  We waited another week and a half without any word, all the time wondering if we'd worsen our situation by going down the the FVRD and reading them the riot act.  We even considered releasing the angry mothers on them... hell hath no fury like a pair of mothers whose children have been living in a mobile home for too long!  I finally decided that I would make my way down to the office and beg, plead, bribe, do whatever was necessary to get that signature.  While I was on my way to Chilliwack, I happened to call our builder who was happy to announce the covenance was signed and once again in the hands of our notary who had already innitiated the registration process.  I suddenly found myself the character from the movie of the week who in an overwhelming fit of joy, stops the car on the side of a quiet,country highway and starts dancing with his arms outstretched to the heavens above.  Hallelujah!  Ok, I didn't really do that, but that's how I felt.


Floral Carved Skirt
 As of today, the FVRD has informed us that our building permit is ready to pickup.  I can already feel the suck factor of this blog fading.  Next week will be full of excitement... monday morning we will start the foundation excavation with Neal arriving at 7:30am to start digging.  Dwayne, our builder, has arranged to have his crew move in on tuesday to start putting up the forms...   I think I'll go next door now and make up with the neighbors dog.

Just a note about Google Blogs... If you want to post a comment you must register with Google; it's relatively painless and they don't ask for a bunch of personal information.  Just click on the "Sign In" at the top, right corner of the screen and on the following page, click on "Get Started". 

No comments:

Post a Comment